Monday, March 3, 2014

Poop Cookies

You are what you Eat!

Actually, that saying does ring true for a lot of people. 
Every time I sneak a Tunnock Snowball - standing face-to-wall in the corner of the kitchen, I look at the fluffy little treat and sadly think to myself "you are what you eat". 
It's basically marshmallow if you've never had one.  
Then I look at the snowball again and eat it quickly because I can hear tiny feet running towards me. 


I digress. 
 Today's recipe may have you scratching your head at my parenting sensibilities - but let me tell you something… we had so much fun.  
Making the cookies, laughing hysterically at what great poop shapes we could make, deciding what poop shape each of us should go with, deciding how to play the prank out, actually playing the prank out, and eating it still under the pretence that it was real poop.  Really - so much fun!  
The cookies taste great too, so it was a win-win-win.

My lovely boy found a practical joke book at the library (3 of them actually) and plotted how to use the pranks on his older sister.  
We agreed on one, and incorporated it into our "treat night".  

Poop Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
2tbsp cocoa 

Preheat oven to 375

Melt butter, sugar and cocoa on medium heat until sugar is dissolved.  Set aside. 

1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
green food colouring
1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 cup flour
1/2 cup oats
1 cup corn flakes, rice krispies, or other cereal (we used rice krispies)

Mix egg, vanilla and 5-8 drops of green food colouring.  Add the brown sugar to the eggs, and mix thoroughly.  Add 1/2 cup flour and mix.  Add cocoa/butter mixture, mix.  Add remaining 1/2 cup flour and make sure it's mixed thoroughly. Add the oats and cereal.  

Line a baking sheet with parchment and place cookies or logs (wink wink) two inches apart.  If your dough is quite warm or you do not want your cookie to spread - pop it in the fridge or freezer for 10-30 minutes before baking.  I did not do this.  The kids couldn't wait that long.  Bake 10-12 minutes.  If you want a truly convincing cookie, set the timer for the 9 minute mark - take the cookies out and with two heat proof spatulas (or butter knives) squish the edges in.  This will stop and repair any spreading the cookie did while baking and add cracks that make it more realistic.  The cracks are also helpful for sticking peanuts or candy corn in, if you are so inclined.  

I lined a baking tray with parchment paper and wrote each child's name on the sheet in pencil (except the older sister we were pranking).  I gave each child an ice cream scoop of batter to create their own "poo" shape and place on the baking tray under/on their name.  Scooping dough ensured everyone had the same amount of dough (no fighting) and labelling the tray meant we didn't have to try to remember the details of each poop for later identification.    


We had a few extra cookies that were in the house for 3 days and were still really fresh after that time.  Just pop any leftovers in a sealed container and you can have fresh poop for days!  

I think this would be a GREAT treat to send in a school lunch! 



Happy Baking!

If you're still reading, I have a funny little story to share.  As you can see, some of the cookies were eaten outside.  I was out with the kids for a while, but the youngest was fussy and we went in leaving the older ones to play.  After a short while my 3 year old daughter came to the back door saying she lost her cookie somewhere in the snow.  
Well, we have a dog.  A dog with similar sized poop. 
 The boys were buckled over with laughter as I begged her not to search for her cookie in the snow, and DEFINITELY not to eat any suspected cookies until I confirmed if it was indeed a cookie or not. 
 I guess this is a warning - if you make these, maybe get your kids to eat them somewhere your doggie doesn't do his business.  

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha, you are all a bunch of weirdos, and it looked like fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the giggles as my kids and I prepare these for Daddy's lunch tomorrow! Weirdos, I guess, but my kids think I'm the best mom ever right now. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had as much fun making/eating them as we did!

      Delete

Just say Yes

Utilizing a budget means making small choices that add up to big numbers.  No impulse buys (even when it’s only a dollar or two) , and n...