Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Crying Cookies

Alright, I know these are called Empire Cookies or Belgium Cookies
but every time I taste them, I cry.
My Nanny, Marjorie O'Neill, used to make these cookies and ever since she passed away
I simply can NOT taste one of these cookies without crying.  
Crying Cookies.


Belgium Cookies, Empire Cookies, Crying Cookies
1 3/4 cup butter 1 1/4 cups fruit sugar 1 tsp vanilla
3 1/4 cup flour 1/4 cup rice flour
raspberry jam
icing sugar 1-2 lemons
Cream sugar and butter, add vanilla. Add 3 1/4 cups flour, 1/4 cup rice flour. Mix well and knead slightly.  Roll out using icing sugar instead of flour to keep it from sticking. Cut as large or small as you please - I usually prefer small so I can share with more people.
Bake on parchment paper lined cookie sheets at 300F for about 15 minutes. Don't let brown - they should be a little brown on the bottoms but not on the sides.  
Once cooled (I usually wait until the next day), put raspberry jam in between cookies. I like LOTS of jam!  
Mix 1-2 tbsp soft butter with 2 cups (maybe more or less, icing is very personal ) and add the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon a teaspoon at a time until just the right consistency. You want the icing to be thin enough to spread but thick enough not to run off the sides! Spread the icing with a butter knife and let dry.
These freeze really well - just freeze them on a baking tray individually for 2-3 hours and once frozen transfer them to an airtight container. WARNING - They are delicious even when frozen, nothing will stop you from eating these!


Do you want everyone to think you're crazy? Why not try hand painting the cookies with food colouring! I used food colouring gel, with a clean paintbrush and a little bit of water to achieve these beautiful looking cookies!

Why not decorate just one cookie as your "gift tag"?


Painting these cookies was a lot of fun, I really enjoyed doing it!  It also made all my children flood with me compliments - I'm not sure if they really loved the paintings, or just wanted to eat a cookie!

Happy Baking

I love and remember you Nanny.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Just say Yes

Utilizing a budget means making small choices that add up to big numbers.  No impulse buys (even when it’s only a dollar or two) , and n...