Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Gluten Free Empire Cookies

I've published a post on how to make these delightful cookies the traditional way, but 
as I now have a gluten free child in the home I feel I need to at least try my favourite recipes gluten free so he can have a chance to enjoy our holiday food traditions.  
Luckily for him, these turned out SO well you can't even taste the difference!
Gluten Free Crying (Empire) Cookies!


Gluten Free Empire Cookies
1 3/4 cup butter 1 1/4 cups fruit sugar 1 tsp vanilla
3 1/4 cup gluten free baking mix (I prefer Namaste or Bob's Red Mill) 1/4 cup rice flour
raspberry jam
icing sugar 1-2 lemons
Cream sugar and butter, add vanilla. Add 3 1/4 cups flour, 1/4 cup rice flour. Mix well and knead slightly.  Roll out using icing sugar instead of flour to keep it from sticking. Cut as large or small as you please - I usually prefer small so I can share with more people.
Bake on parchment paper lined cookie sheets at 300F for about 15 minutes. Don't let brown - they should be a little brown on the bottoms but not on the sides.  
Once cooled (I usually wait until the next day), put raspberry jam in between cookies. I like LOTS of jam!  
Mix 1-2 tbsp soft butter with 2 cups (maybe more or less, icing is very personal ) and add the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon a teaspoon at a time until just the right consistency. You want the icing to be thin enough to spread but thick enough not to run off the sides! Spread the icing with a butter knife and let dry.

These freeze really well - just freeze them on a baking tray individually for 2-3 hours and once frozen transfer them to an airtight container. WARNING - They are delicious even when frozen, nothing will stop you from eating these!

I used food colouring gel to personalize the gluten free cookies.  This way, at our large family gatherings no one will accidentally eat the gluten free treats, leaving those with sensitivities/intolerances without any goodies!  


I also "painted" some of the other cookies with Christmas themed images.  Just wait until the icing is totally dry (overnight) and personalize as you need.  This would be great for birthday parties, Valentine's cookies, etc.


You could also choose to personalize just one cookie as the "gift tag" on a tray of baking


Happy Gluten Free Baking!  



7 comments:

  1. What kind of food colouring did you use to paint the cookies? I've tried before, and the colour was faint, but yours look like art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Wilton food colouring gel. It was really easy to use! I've used it before to paint a fondant icing on a birthday cake and loved how creative it allowed me to be. I am no good piping icing on to something, you may as well have a cat do it. :)

      Delete
  2. Haha, a cat....oh gosh. O.k, well, I have Wilton food colouring, but I'll get myself some of the gel. Merci! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gels are less than $2.00 a piece and you can find them in the Bulk Barn.

      Delete
  3. These look incredible! What do you mean by "fruit sugar"? Im confused.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello love! These ARE incredible 😊 Fruit sugar is very refined and dissolves easily. If you don't want to head to the grocery store to find some, you can pulse regular sugar in a blender to make it more fine. If you're heading to the store anyway, you can find it in the health food aisle (typically). Let me know how

      Delete
    2. ...how you like them! My phone is adorably old and wouldn't let me finish that sentence.

      Delete

Just say Yes

Utilizing a budget means making small choices that add up to big numbers.  No impulse buys (even when it’s only a dollar or two) , and n...